You’ve probably heard about how amazing leafy greens are. And they’re often called superfoods! But here’s something you might not know about Methi, a little herb that packs a lot of health benefits. It’s been a key ingredient in Indian and Middle Eastern dishes and medicine for ages.
It has a unique and cathartic aroma, along with a slightly bitter taste that adds a special touch to dishes worldwide. People love using fresh methi leaves in their recipes, but nowadays, frozen methi leaves are becoming more popular because they’re convenient and available all year round.
So, let’s dive into the versatility and health benefits of methi!
Methi leaves retain a significant amount of their original nutrients, making them a powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals. They contain a lot of vitamin A for healthy vision, vitamin C to boost immunity and produce collagen, iron to prevent anemia (low iron levels) and support oxygen transport, and calcium for strong bones and teeth. Including methi leaves in your diet can provide a great boost to your overall health.
High in fiber
High in fiber, methi leaves are great for digestion. They prevent constipation and can ease mild digestive discomfort. Drinking methi leaf tea regularly can also help reduce bloating. If you’re trying to lose weight, methi can be a helpful addition to your diet. It makes you feel fuller for longer, curbing hunger and helps boost metabolism, making it easier to burn calories and shed pounds.
Blood sugar regulation
Methi leaves help to regulate blood sugar levels, and this property makes this herb beneficial for individuals with diabetes or those at risk of developing the condition. Some compounds in methi leaves are thought to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce the amount of sugar absorbed in the intestines.
Tips to incorporate methi into your diet
Here are some quick and simple ideas to include Methi in your meals and make the most of its amazing health benefits:
- Flavorful methi parathas – Add finely chopped methi leaves to your regular paratha dough and enjoy your meal with some cool raita or mint chutney. For more paratha options, check here.
- Tangy methi chutney – Blend fresh methi leaves with some green chilies, garlic, and a dash of lemon juice to create a zesty chutney that pairs perfectly with your favorite snacks.
- Methi Aloo – Enhance the flavor and nutrition of your potatoes by adding methi leaves during the cooking process.
- Methi Rice – Toss some methi leaves into your rice while cooking, and voila! You have a subtly flavorful, colorful and nutritious rice dish.
- Methi Smoothie – Blend methi leaves with your favorite fruits and yogurt to create a power-packed smoothie that will keep you energized all day.
So, visit Shana, grab a bag of frozen methi leaves, and start your journey towards a healthier, happier you!